Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Do you still meet the nicest people on a Honda?

Chuck Hawkes maintains a good website about motorcycles. I think it's fair to let him have his bias toward Harley Davidson motorcycles. I have my own biases too. But there is one place where I feel that his comments about Honda are so far off base that I simply have to let you decide for yourself.

First quote, from the page above, the Sportster review:

"Years ago, Honda ran ads saying "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." Today, you meet the nicest people on a Harley."

It does sound a little biased to me, but then I know some very nice people riding Harleys and some scum sob's riding around on Honda's. Still, I don't agree that on the average Harley riders today are nicer than Honda riders. So I continued reading Chuck's website to get a better feel for what exactly Chuck Hawkes means by "nicest people".

I came across this quote, on this page: http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_firearms.htm
I took note, that the article is credited not to Chuck Hawkes personally, but to Dr. Christopher Lee.

"1. When selecting a firearm for motorcycle carry, opt for one that has a ported barrel, especially if your choice is a lightweight gun in a magnum caliber. Ported barrels are a relatively new technology, and they significantly reduce the recoil of the firearm. That means that when you are firing from a moving motorcycle, the shot will be less likely to disrupt your balance."


(I skipped a few of the points)


"5. If you decide to fire, FIRE AT THE DRIVER, NOT THE CAR. Obvious in retrospect, make sure you decide to fire at the driver before you engage to avoid time-consuming, and therefore dangerous, mistakes."



I will not challenge the advice itself. But Chuck, the point of Honda's commercial in the sixties was to improve the image of motorcyclists, at that time a lot of people thought all motorcyclists, especially Harley riders, were outlaws and bullies. One way to think of it, being nice means NO SHOOTING PEOPLE WHILE RIDING.

4 comments:

  1. I disagree with that recommendation for a ported barrel ... they mess up the front sight with powder residue and make the gun difficult to clean.

    Besides, given the inherent instability of the firing platform, motorcyclists should use something which can tolerate a higher level of shooting inaccuracy - like a Ingram MAC-10 or an Uzi.

    Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your main issue is the type of gun to use when firing from a moving motorcycle. You also may not be one of the people the Honda ads were referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T'would appear that yet another of my attempts at satire has fallen flat.

    I loathe the American gun culture - and the fact that it seems to be seeping across the border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are both too ironic for our own good.

    ReplyDelete