Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Antrichrist Spotters Guide



I have seen a lot of debate recently on right wing religious websites about how to know the Antichrist when he appears, that is if he has not already appeared in the form of Obama.

It's not that complicated, people. Of course, we have to assume Jesus would vote Republican as all the "real" Christians already do, and that naturally he supports the war in Iraq and in Gaza, that he is OK with water boarding and the death penalty, and is against shelters for the homeless and against welfare for the poor.

The Antichrist would have to be the complete opposite of everything Jesus and the Republicans stand for, so would he would be all for turning the other cheek, not throwing the first stone, feeding and sheltering to poor, sharing the wealth, paying taxes to the government, and peace. Sounds like Obama to me.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to have a serious discussion with the superintendent of my (fundamentalist) Baptist Sunday school ... except that he's long since 'passed to his reward.'

    But his neglect for my education was egregious ... not once, in the years I attended faithfully, was the subject of the antichrist discussed in detail.

    Perhaps it was because, in this particular strain of Baptist, we actually read the Bible. In detail. Carefully.

    Admittedly, antichrists are mentioned in the First and Second Epistles of John, but we (mistakenly?) interpreted those references to signify heretics or gospel deniers.

    Somewhere along the way, someone confabulated those references with the dyspeptic visions in The Revelation of (a different) John - John of Patmos) and came up with the Anti-Christ ... an antichrist that actually has no scriptural basis.

    Anyhow - I regret to say that, now that the days are getting longer, I am about to flee the city (and my Internet connection) for the shores of Lake Huron. I'll miss my daily dose of propaganda.

    Keep the articles coming ... I'll try to catch up when I'm back in town for chores.

    ReplyDelete