Thursday, April 9, 2009

Could Nazi propaganda work in Canada?

I have a feeling it could work just about anywhere, but there are factors that can hinder Nazi style propaganda. First, is a healthy economic system where people are mostly employed and are more concerned about enjoying life than they are about blaming people for screwing it up. Second is peace, it's been a long time since we were invaded, and we have not been involved in many wars since Korea in the 50's. I also think that any country with a substantial minority population and a tradition of democracy and toleration would resist Nazi propaganda better then a more authoritarian country with a dominant ethnic group.

But we should not be patting ourselves on the back yet. The closest thing I think we have in Canada to Nazi propaganda is the writing of Mark Steyn, a regular in MacLeans magazine (which I have pictured here with it's deceptive title). I'm not saying that Mark is advocating gassing 6 million Jews. But Mark Steyn has written about "culling" the Moslems in his book "America Alone: The end of the world as we know it". Then he uses MacLean's to back up his idea with plenty of examples showing why the Moslems are a real threat. Apparently he has published over 20 articles about it in MacLean's, and I'm going to admit right now: I don't read them unless I need some specific context for a quote. But I have read through a few of his articles on other subjects that I know something about, such as French Canadians. And I know he likes to make up stereotypes and push emotional buttons for fear, hatred, and shame. I can't remember reading any other style from Mark.

Why is Mark Steyn's work like Nazi propaganda? Well, I will admit he is not picking on the Jews, but stirring up fear and hate against any ethnic group is a characteristic he shares with the Nazis.

So far I think that Mark's inflammatory writings have had very little effect in Canada. Many decent good hearted people have even defended his right to free speech, although I personally would like to see him replaced at MacLean's. I am convinced there are a lot of Canadians out there who can write better, who have a social conscience, and are more entertaining than Mark. Me, for example. But I'm not holding out much hope, because I think Mark was hired exactly for that purpose by the boss at MacLean's. So actually it is Ken Whyte who should be fired, but who is going to do that? Maybe people should stop buying MacLean's, and see how long it takes for their financial backers to run out of money.

Mark has moved out of Canada and lives in the USA. I think I know what it was about Canada that repelled him, and it makes me proud to call myself a Canadian.

For a summary of Nazi propaganda against the Jews, check out this website. Although the site contains hate propaganda it is not itself a propaganda site. Proving once again that context is important. They do ask that I give credit as follows

"Courtesy of the Holocaust Education & Archive Research Team www.HolocaustResearchProject.org "

5 comments:

  1. "Could Nazi propaganda work in Canada?"

    By your definition, it already does, and your posting is it.

    "Mark Steyn has written about 'culling' the Moslems". But so did you, above. And now, so did I, right here. And none of was actually advocating it. Only you were advocating condemning Steyn for noticing someone else was culling Muslims. Advocating attacking the messenger seems pretty Nazi-ish. Or at least you seem to promote a stereotype, while pushing emotional buttons for fear, hatred and shame. All while accusing someone else of doing the same.

    So who's the Nazi again?

    Anyway, thanks for letting me comment at your site, even if I disagree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for posting your thoughts, which quite possibly represent the thoughts of many people even some of my friends and relatives.

    Yes I posted something about culling Moslems, but in the same entry in a link near the bottom, I posted *actual* Nazi propaganda. But as I said, context is everything. If the actual Nazi propaganda is in the context of a memorial for Holocaust victims, it is educational. If by posting Mark Steyn's words you assume I'm a Nazi, you need to check some of my other posts where I am obviously attempting to counter that hate with a more unbiased view.

    My Moslem Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really should read Steyn's book. He's not "anti" anyone. He is warning that folks who believe in liberal democracy are being replaced by folks who don't. When intolerant Muslims clash with liberal minded Canada, who will win out?
    Even if you disagree and believe Islam is tolerant he is a good writer and the book is entertaining.
    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark Steyn also enjoys mocking French Canadians, and so even if it turns out he is absolutely right about the Moslems, his credibilty with me is compromised. I prefer to spend my money on books from some writers who do not enjoy mocking ethnic groups for fun and profit, if there really is something serious going on.

    I agree with you in that Sharia law is incompatible with a liberal democracy, and I am disgusted by anyone who says we need it in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for posting the link to the holocaustresearchproject.org website.

    I found it to be one of the best Holocaust websites online!

    -Tailspin

    ReplyDelete