Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Drivers are Safe Drivers

To be a good driver, first you should know what a good driver is. No, I'm not going to recite the Ontario Driver's handbook, although it's a good idea to at least know the rules of the road. But I have my own opinion of what makes a good driver.

First, I am not necessarily talking about me - I would like it if other people drove like this to make my drive safer too, while still allowing me to get somewhere.

1. A good driver is not talking on a cell phone, I know a lot of people will disagree, but three times I have almost been hit by a driver talking on a cell phone, twice while legally walking across an intersection. Sure the driver signalled "I'm sorry" to me but the thing is I would not enjoy being pinned under an SUV even for the few minutes it would take an ambulance to get there.

2. Sober, and not drowsy, and not fumbling around under the dash looking for a packet of CD's. I am thankful for mp3 players, I think, though I don't have one. I play CD's but I don't change them, consequently the same CD has been playing in my car since my trip to Mexico three years ago. Dido "Life for Rent", I know it by heart.

3. Leaving some space behind me, for some reason I really hate people who drive so close I can see the whites of their eyes. But I have only ever been rear ended once, and that was a really fluky situation where I was coming to a stop sign, and I could see clearly there was no oncoming traffic, so I prepared to make a turn without coming to a complete stop (I know that was bad) but when I got closer to the intersection, my view up the cross road became obscured by a line of tree trunks, so I decided to stop and got hit from behind. Just a tap, though, and we drove off without any incident. The driver behind me could see the cross road, but from my position I couldn't.

4. A good driver does not come to a stop in the middle of a lane on the 401 in order to prepare for a merge. It usually happens where one lane stops, and as soon as that happens drivers in the remaining moving lanes panic and think "I must be in the wrong lane, I must get into the stopped lane". So they come to a stop wait until a space opens up so they can move over. My strategy is to keep moving until I have a space to pull in, or until my lane actually ends. This is the correct way, according to the official Ontario Drivers Handbook.

5. I don't like drivers who are always trying to "teach other drivers a lesson", or road raging because somebody is going slow. I don't like to be held up either, but once in a while a driver is going to be in unfamiliar territory, is going to hesitate or go slow looking for a turnoff or whatever. Or it may just be my mother in front who is 84 and knows the Ontario Driver's Handbook better than you, and drives at the speed limit. Just chill, you don't need to be leaning on the horn and gesticulating. Learn to drive better and you will not be so frustrated.

6. (This may go with 5) Drivers who cannot figure out time. They leave themselves 10 minutes to get somewhere that is a 20 minute drive and get mad at people who are not going fast enough. For these people, teleportation cannot be invented soon enough.

7. A good driver is not showing off, sorry teenagers, this most frequently applies to you. But I have seen some "mature gentlemen" engaged in this activity, occasionally it is me.

8. A good driver may be going fast, but does not think that just because they are speeding, that other drivers way up ahead need to get out of the way. The faster you go, the more space you need up ahead, that's just plain physics. But people way up ahead are not that great at judging your speed, say while waiting to enter the roadway. And the further off you are, the harder it is to judge your speed. Consequently, speeders often find other people pulling out in front of them and they have to *USE THE BRAKES*. If this happens a lot, it may be idiots pulling out in front of you, or you may be going too fast.

5 comments:

  1. Overheard in the doughnut shoppe the other day ...

    'Geeze, Louise! I just got nailed for a $490 traffic ticket!'

    'Going too fast again?'

    'No ... the bastud pulled me over on the 401 for "fail to move over from right lane" ... when I passed him ... when he was on the shoulder, fercrissakes!'

    'Naw ... you're joking. You're kidding, right?'

    So ... what's my point? A 'good driver' keeps up with the changes to the Highway Traffic Act. Way too many people have not looked at a copy of the Driver's Handbook since their driving test ... in many cases, decades ago.

    This particular offense has been on the books since 2002 but many drivers apparently are still not aware of it.

    And, duh ... yes, it is spelled out in the Driver's handbook. No excuse!

    And, while they're reading the Handbook, perhaps some of those morons could also check out the article about driving through roundabouts while they're at it. Signal your frikkin' exit, idiot!

    And this is not a new requirement, but, "Why doncha clear the snow off your windows before you drive off, jerk?

    There ... I feel much better now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helping my mother cram for her second driver book test, "What is the permissible blood alcohol level for a G2 License?"

    5% ?

    "No that's the same percentage as beer."

    "So that's what you get when drinking beer?"

    "No that's what you get when your blood is beer."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tripped across an interesting study done in the UK on whether motorists actually 'see' motorcycles.

    There, as here (I believe) the most common accident is the 'Right of Way' violation, where the car fails to properly yield.

    To a large degree, the study tends to confirm what we already suspected ...

    Car Drivers’ Skills and Attitudes
    to Motorcycle Safety
    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. About car drivers "seeing" motorcyclists, I often weave the bike side to side a bit when approaching a car that may cross in front of me. That side to side motion is far more effective in getting recognition than the passive "image expansion" of an approaching vehicle.

    Also Honda has done some studies indicating that a bike that has two headlights like eyes on a face, gets better recognition.

    Honda Face DesignSince my Vulcan has the "Cyclops" look, I better keep ducking and weaving.

    ReplyDelete