Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Koran Burning at the Dove World Outreach


Or: Reach out and Burn Some Books

Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville Florida is planning to burn copies of the Koran on 9/11. On their website, they have a blog on "Ten Reasons to Burn the Koran". I tried to read it, but the blog was temporarily out of service.

But, not to worry, there was another blog on the Dove World Outreach website: "Five more reasons to burn the Koran".

http://www.doveworld.org/blog/5-more-reasons-to-burn-the-koran


On the page I linked above, I saw two replies, both from Joel Cushing.

After reading his reply, I realized I would never be able to write anything as good, so I'll just leave the link to it in my blog. But if the Dove World webmaster "burns" Joel's reply, like they are planning to burn the Koran in the real world, I do have a copy and will be prepared quote it on my blog.

Photo: This is a Reuters photo of a mural in Bethlehem by Banksy, to which I added fire and the words, using Photoshop.

1 comment:

  1. As I read Ten Reasons To Burn a Koran, the words, 'Pot, Kettle, Black' kept popping into my head.

    For instance, 'It's [sic] writings are human in origin, a concoction of old and new teachings.' The implication, of course, being that the Bible is truly of 'divine' origin - whereas it has been more than adequately demonstrated that the Bible is human in origin, a concoction of old and new teachings.

    If, for the sake of argument, we assume that 'religions of the book' go through similar evolutionary stages, Islam, which dates to about 610 CE, is now entering its 15th century of evolution.

    There is not much to admire in Christianity's 15th century of evolution: autos da fé, scapegoating of Jews for the Black Death, the exhumation and burning of Wycliffe's bones, the ceaseless persecution of the Albigensians, rampant Papal corruption and, of course, the inevitable book burnings (Jewish, Muslin and Christian).

    However, when we see the kind of Medieval hate-mongering now going on, one can't help wondering how so many Christians have managed to slip back into the 14th Century.

    ReplyDelete