Monday, April 13, 2009

Motorcyclists Think Outside the Box

I believe motorcyclists have certain characteristics that promote free speech, and critical thinking about propaganda. I'm not putting down anyone else, just that I have been amazed by some of the serious but friendly discussions I have been engaged in over the years by people I barely knew, whose politics or religion or race were different to mine. It made me think: is there something about motorcycling maybe that makes this more likely than usual to happen?

Motorcycling tend to attract a certain type of person and reinforce those characteristics. First almost a prerequisite, is that the person needs to be ready to risk life and limb on order to be free to do what they want. Then, while learning to ride other characteristics are reinforced and help keep you safe. First is a resistance to rage Second, not to ignore what's going on, and being alert at all times.

You could say also that after a while motorcyclists begin to think outside the box, they are literally sitting outside the box compared to the car drivers inside their supposedly safe conventional air bagged crash proof frame. Motorcyclists are forced to interact with the environment, even with other people while riding, and frequently have to change their route when the weather does not cooperate.

Motorcyclists tend to be aware of propaganda, every one of them has probably heard "you shouldn't be driving them dangerous things".

There really is something to this brotherhood feeling among motorcyclists, and it goes beyond the waving to each other on the road. I have found that speaking with other motorcyclists is a rare opportunity to be able to speak to people of all different beliefs and discuss things reasonably. I have gone to motorcycle rallies all over Canada and the USA, and have talked to motorcyclists that I meet on the road. Although we may be on opposite poles on many subjects from global warming to the qualities of George Bush, we can usually have a friendly discussion. The attitude seems to be this: "I don't agree with this person's views but since he rides a motorcycle, I will listen and see if I can understand his point without being an a**hole." By the way, the motorcycle rallies I am speaking of are not the beer-drinking breast-baring barroom brawling scenes that have been promoted in the media. I have spoken to motorcyclists who are University professors, UN diplomats, politicians, published authors, and just regular Joes like me.

Although motorcyclists are urged to ride "as though everybody out there is trying to kill you", we know it's not true, and that many times we can be saved from our own mistake by another careful alert driver. We know all drivers, whether they see us or not, do not intend to kill us. But we know that people sometimes don't see us because they only see what they are expecting to see.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Don't knock those 'beer-drinking, breast-baring scenes' - they're fun, too ... LOL!

    Seriously, though ... riding is an intense experience and it's impossible to fully explain to a non-rider what the attractions of riding are. Non-riders who think of motorcycles simply as transportation just don't get it.

    So, we riders have something important (at least to us) in common that sets us apart (at least in our estimation) from the rest of the population, so we generally tend to have a favourable bias (or prejudice) towards each other (not always justified, but the initial bias tends to be positive).

    Besides ... the only other motor vehicles out there that I'm sure are not trying to kill me, are bikes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think riding is a "grounded" activity like woodworking, I have experienced similar things among woodworkers. I think finding that one common grounded element goes a long way to good dialogue. I guess that is why religion tears us apart as people. Religion aspires differences that take this common element away and drives us all further apart as people.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woodworking and motorcycling are basic enough to appeal to everyone regardless of politics or religion.

    ReplyDelete