Monday, October 19, 2009

Motorcycle Safety Disjointed Ramble

Cell phone ban in Ontario October 26

http://www.yorkregion.com/article/97969

I am looking forward to this ban especially since I have nearly been run down twice just while walking, by a cell phone user driving a car. This morning on local TV there was a commentary about a driver stopped for using two cell phones at once while driving. I wanted to confirm it with Google, I couldn't find it, but I believe it.

This thing about cell phones is not the only danger motorcyclists face on the road. And just because there is a law does not mean drivers will obey. And even if they do obey, it may just free them up for some other nonsense that we don't have a law for. What have we forgotten? Reading books and magazines. Playing games of solitaire or checkers. Wrestling with your pet grizzly who is sitting in your lap. Letting the pet grizzly drive while you take a nap.

So let's assume the roads are not safe and will not be much safer after October 26. What is the most important safety insurance on a motorcycle? I think it is a rider who makes decisions with reason and logic more than emotions. That might cover just about everything. Of course everybody thinks they use reason and logic and it's the other guy who is is a raging hormone loaded maniac.

But let's try a little honest self examination. Everybody has emotions. I just can't help getting mad an ignorant act by another driver threatens my life. But as I get older I am finding it happens to me less than when I was young. Anger is an emotion, and this emotion was triggered by another emotion, fear.

I am afraid of going into a hospital trauma unit, I'm afraid of sustaining some kind of irreparable injury. Although I am also afraid of breaking bones, I know at least they can heal. But a damaged brain or spinal cord will not be repaired with our current medical knowledge. So now I wear a helmet and my jacket even has a spine protector in it (although I don't know how good that is.)

Actually, fear is a good emotion to have in riding a motorcycle, as long as it translates to paying attention and being cautious. But too often fear translates into anger, frustration or impatience. And of course if you have too much fear you won't ride a motorcycle at all. But then you will die slipping on the soap in your shower, something you actually had no fear of before it happened.

If I might make a suggestion as to how to become a more rational person, and thereby promote motorcycling safety. Do not listen to Rush Limbaugh's talk radio, or Fox News on TV. Don't read MacLean's Magazine, especially Mark Steyn articles. Instead watch Lloyd Robertson on the CTV, a model of rationality. If that doesn't calm you down, I don't know what will. I simply can't help falling asleep. By the way I do NOT mean watch Lloyd while driving! And don't fall asleep while driving either. The CBC has its own Peter Mansbridge, but Lloyd, according to Wikipedia covered the moon landing in 1969 for CBC, so he's really "Old School". Don't pay any attention when whippersnappers like Bill O'Reilly on Fox News tell you the are "old school", that's just ridiculous.

Here is another way to become more rational, and enhance your safety. Don't trust a guardian angel to protect you. Don't pray that God keeps you safe on your bike, don't bother to hang a St Christopher medal on your mirrors. That is not rational. Just pay attention, and be careful. Leave supernatural beliefs for church or walks in the park.

Here is a little commentary about a motorcyclist who could not turn the bike into a corner in Deal's Gap.

And the picture is not gratuitous like most of mine are. The girls are there to entice drivers wear helmets in Milan Italy. Here in Ontario, instead, you get some big ugly police officer who writes you a ticket. (Apologies in advance if I ever get stopped by a cute female officer)

5 comments:

  1. What's not made clear in the York Region article is that, for the first three months, police will only issue warnings.

    So, given that loophole and the unlikelihood of actually being caught, I don't expect to see any significant changes in driver behaviour in the short term.

    I continue to marvel at the amount of time people seem to spend yakking or texting on their little devices.

    I suppose it's all part of what I consider an increase in bandwidth without an actual decrease in content ... more and more 'communications' going on, with less and less value to it.

    What the heck do those people talk about all day?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I wanted to know what people are texting to each other that is so interesting, based on a fairly small sample, I have boiled it down to one typical message

    OMG DID U C? LOL, TTYL... L8R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree, but then again the only possible advice to any motorcyclist is to ride as though everyone WANTS to kill you. Fortunately over here you have to take basic training as a motorcyclist before they even let you on the road so that almost all have some idea before venturing out! Given the absence of straight roads in England most motorcyclists can get round corners - that Deal Gap reference was really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally try to drive as if everyone wants to kill me, but when I get in heavy traffic I start assigning priority based on opportunity or motive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came back from Toronto today, and I did not see anyone talking on a cell phone while driving! Not too impressed with the lady at the stop sign on Harbourfront Rd. who simply stopped at the sign, started talking on her cell phone and refused to move.

    ReplyDelete