Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Witches: Are they Real?

Just in case I managed to give the idea in my last blog, that witch-hunting is only in Africa, and there is no chance for it in America, I want to clarify. First my own position: I do not believe in witchcraft, or in the devil, or in voodoo or black magic. Every case is in my opinion, either false, or based on some fraud or a coincidence. There is nothing to fear from magic, although if a witch doctor decides to toss a hand grenade or use an assault rifle, obviously there would be the usual cause for concern.

I do not believe in miracles, the supernatural, and I don't even believe in borderline mystical things like acupuncture.

If somebody decides to become a witch, and then casts an evil spell on somebody, my answer is "this is harmless, forget about it". But a fundamental Christian's attitude might be "This is the work of the Devil, it may cause great harm, and must be stopped by any means possible."

Here is a fairly long article about the rise of witchcraft in the USA. It is written by Linda P. Harvey, editor and publisher of Mission: America, a quarterly Christian newsletter and Internet web site at www.missionamerica.com. To me, she seems right wing and conservative, from her comments. Not really a surprise to me.

http://www.leaderu.com/theology/teenwitchcraft-original.html

Here is one quote

"Even back in our school days in studying colonial American history, we were drilled in the pagan-friendly line about Salem: that it was an example to America about the dangers of religious fanaticism. The whole story was seldom told, and witchcraft was dismissed as a mythical label goofy fundamentalists give to independent, enlightened non-conformists. A "witch hunt" has become one of the left's favorite epithets to intimidate the devout."


I have to object to this comment that leftists are trying to intimidate the devout with the the epithet witch hunter. I am only trying to intimidate the witch hunters. Stop hunting witches and you can be as devout as you like. I happen to believe in freedom of religion which is the opposite of burning witches at the stake. And yes, religious fanaticism is a problem.

I admit to dismissing witchcraft as mythical. Yes again to calling anyone goofy who believes real witches exist (meaning doing supernatural magic through the power of the devil). Do I think these deluded practitioners of witchcraft are "independent, enlightened, or nonconformist"? I would not use the word "enlightened" as that implies some kind of knowledge or wisdom. So I do not think witches are enlightened. But, I would allow "Independent and nonconformist", as you can be stupid and also independent and nonconformist.

There is also a mention of the Cassie Bernall case, which the author of this article comments

"Those who dabble in witchcraft can open themselves up to dangerous supernatural influences."

I would call the Cassie Bernall case coincidence at best, and more likely a complete fabrication. But the author of this article considers it supernatural. Just a quick recap, Cassie dabbled in witchcraft, then was converted to Christianity, and was martyred at Columbine High School. The killer posed the question to her "Do you believe in God" she said "Yes" and she was shot dead. The actual verbal exchange unproven.

There is one way I agree with Becky, the popular culture is encouraging the belief in witchcraft. Sad to say, some people are attracted by simplistic religions that promise magical answers. And for some reason this movement seems to be growing. I hope it's just a fad. Also we may need to cut back a bit on all the supernatural stuff on TV and in the movies, because so many people are gullible enough to believe it is real. When I was young we had "Bewitched" on TV of course, but I don't remember anybody taking it seriously back then.

I photoshopped the picture of Elizabeth Montgomery, star of "Bewitched" being burned for witchcraft. If you look closely you may see a marshmallow over her right shoulder, but I didn't put that in there, I missed it when composing the image.

1 comment:

  1. Wicca is an 'official' religion, legally recognized in the U.S. (although not so much in Canada).

    Linda P. Harvey is just jealous that people in that religion seem to have so much more fun than people in her own ;-)

    I'd be hard pressed to make a case that her religion, with its hard line on homosexuality, feminism, abortion, &c. is any better than the 'pagan' beliefs of witches.

    As to your title ... yes, witches are real; the U.S. courts say they are! Now as to whether their 'magic' is real - that, of course, is a different question entirely ;-)

    ReplyDelete